The Washer Game Player's Community

Washer Rules {Our Version}

Have a question on the rules? Do you have your own washers rules that you prefer? This is the place!

Washer Rules {Our Version}

Postby Guv on Thu May 01, 2008 1:26 pm

Here are the rules that we follow for both team play and head to head play:

The game of washers can be played with two players or two teams of two players.
Boxes are placed 21 feet apart on a flat and level surface.
No part of the player’s foot may go beyond the front of the box.
All games are played to 21 points with the win by 2 points rule in effect.

TEAM PLAY:
• Partners play at opposing ends of washer boxes.
• Challengers always toss the first washer to begin the game.
• Players toss one washer at a time alternating turns.
• The team that scored the last point will toss first in the next set of tosses.
• If no points are scored, then the team that tossed last in that round will toss first in the next set of tosses.
• In team play only, 11-0 is considered a shutout and game is over.
• Points are awarded to the team with the last washer(s) in the highest scoring position(s).
• No game is final until the whole round is complete (meaning tossing of all washers).

Points are awarded as follows:
1 point for a washer that lands closest to the box & within one width of a washer.
2 points for a washer that lands in the box
3 points for a washer that lands in the cup.

HEAD to HEAD PLAY:
• Players stand at opposing ends of washer boxes.
• One player will choose which end and the other will chose whether to toss first or last.
• Each player will toss all 4 washers (5 washers will be tossed if bonus washer is in use)**
• Only boxes and cups will count for scoring.
• If player one scores 21 or more points, player 2 will have one final set of washers to try to extend or win game; If player two scores 21 or more points game is over.

Points are awarded as follows:
2 Points are awarded for each washer that lands in the box
3 Points are awarded for each washer that lands in the cup.
**If bonus washer is used points are worth double for that washer.
Guv

Re: Washer Rules {Our Version}

Postby patricia42256 on Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 pm

I have never heard of this game till now.Sounds like a lot of fun though. I am quoting a rule and I don't understand(No part of the player’s foot may go beyond the front of the box.) if you stand that close it doesn't make sence you will be able to drop the washer right into the cup. Where does a player stand? :roll:
patricia42256

Postby Guv on Thu May 08, 2008 7:12 pm

patricia42256 wrote:I have never heard of this game till now.Sounds like a lot of fun though. I am quoting a rule and I don't understand(No part of the player’s foot may go beyond the front of the box.) if you stand that close it doesn't make sence you will be able to drop the washer right into the cup. Where does a player stand? :roll:

There are two boxes set up 21 feet apart. Your foot cannot go beyond the edge of the box that you are tossing from. The box you are tossing to is the one 21 feet away.
Guv

Postby glorified j on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:39 pm

I like the point given to the person closest to the box. That'd help speed up some of our games, when nobody can get it in there!
"what to say, what to say... nothing said? What a waste." -- E. Vedder
glorified j

Postby goblinhtsdrmr on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:14 am

the way we play is on one with a 12x12 box that is 7 inches high, tube also that high and 4in around, 20ft away, two washers apiece.. 3in outer diameter. scoring is one foot around the outside is 1 point 2 in box and three in hole. leaners inside box or tube are just what they are 2 or 3, and resting on the edge is juat closer than a leaner but not in the box. other than that its cancel rules and close out at 21' skunk is 11, if you bust you just stay where you were and you threw open pit, so if the other team has points sittin they get them.. gotta close out right. been playin this way since we built this version of the game 7 years ago. we have made and sold sets to friends over the years too.. but id never played it the other ways. im in michigan
goblinhtsdrmr

Return to Washers Rules